The garden plan called for gates on opposite sides of the garden, one toward the house and the other accessing the compost. The gate facing the house was first priority and can be seen in some of the earlier posts or by clicking here. But the gate next to the compost seemed like a luxury and one I could live an eternity without. This eternity proved exceptionally annoying. Each time I encountered something destined for the compost it became a test of pitching ability. Tosses into the compost over the fence were as likely successful as not. Tolerance to plants in various stages of decomposition hanging here or there became the norm.

So this weekend seemed the ideal time to make the second gate. I already had the basic design – that is the dimensions were fixed by the relative opening of the arbor. What was flexible was the actual construction process and design. I decided to loosely follow the design used previously
Gate corner detail but to eliminate one of the rails, as that had proven exceptionally difficult to construct. The design therefore would be a simple superimposition of a cross on an X. The / would be the diagonal providing the structural integrity to the design.

The approach to the corners was the same. I used three-eighths inch by eight inch galvanized machine bolts (four total), one for each corner. The below photo shows a closeup of the above design detail and details the method of hanging screening, and the mortise hole for the screw on the bottom. Each of the machine bolt heads was countersunk in a hole the size of the galvanized washer. It was amazing how much faster the process went the second time around. The key to success was creating flat and square rabbeted receivers for the ends of the stiles that could receive the rails. Bolt holes and mortise holes for the nuts were done by eye with simple measurements. They luckily came out correctly.
Mortise hole and screening hanging

I decided to hang the screening on a perimeter wire of polyethelene using simple black zip ties. The polyethelene was run through galvanized staples, tensioned (by attaching temporaily to the gate and swinging it) and secured using a nicopress fitting much as I secured the tensioned wire for the fence. The thought was that this would facilitate replacement – simply replace the zip ties. It was easy to make and created a neat job. I would recommend this approach for those with extra polyethelene and a handy nicopress tool (or large pliers) for swaging.

Final Gate

The wife seems to like the appearance of the gate.

Advertisements